Food and Drink that Your Dog Should Never Eat

The old cliché is “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” and for some that may be true, I know in my case it sure didn’t hurt.  But while a special treat may be neat for a human, man’s best friend needs to be a little more careful about the foods and treats that they eat.  Let the Alphabet be your guide:  

Alcohol poisoning can easily occur, since dogs weigh a fraction of what a human weighs.  It can also cause intoxication, coma or death.  Think twice before you add a little bit of your beer to your doggie bowl.

Even a small amount of avocado can cause vomiting and diarrhea in a dog.  The reason? The presence of persin which is harmless for humans, but harmful for dogs.

Did you know that many brands of baby food contain onion powder?  Any form of onion is unsafe for your dog and it can destroy a dog’s red blood cells and cause anemia.  Onion poisioning symptoms include trouble breathing, lack of appetite, vomiting and diarrhea.  

Baking ingredients like baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg are highly toxic to dogs.

What! No bones? While it seems natural to pass that T-Bone over to Fido after your meal bones can cause lacerations and obstructions in the digestive system plus put your pet at risk for chocking.

Many dog owners aren’t surprised to see Chocolate, Caffeine, or Coffee  .  Our Veterinarians have warned us repeatedly to avoid chocolate treats for dogs. The harmful ingredient is Theo bromine and is all sorts of chocolates. Just say no to cocoa and caffeine for dogs because it can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and excessive thirst in dogs.

Your dog may be lactose intolerant.  But before you laugh, realize that adult dogs often are not able to break down the lactose in milk. As a result severe diarrhea can occur in dogs, leaving them dehydrated.

Drugs are the leading cause of poison cases in dogs. 

Raw eggs put canines at risk for bacterial infections.

Fat trimmed from meat may seem like a nice treat but it can also cause pancreatitis in dogs.

While children may get “Fifth’s Disease” your precious pup could end up with “fish disease” as a result of eating raw fish which can contain a parasite that causes a disease, which if left untreated can be fatal in less than two weeks. Symptoms of fish disease include vomiting, fever and enlarged lymph nodes.  

Inflammation and obstruction in dogs can occur due to the seeds of persimmons, peaches, and plums. Peach and plum pits also contain cyanide which is poisonous for both dogs and humans. Grapes, as well as raisins, contain a toxin that can cause kidney damage in dogs.

Dog poisoning and prevention tips

Keep the telephone number to your veterinarian, local emergency pet clinic and Animal Poison Control center where you can find them.  Hopefully you will never need them, but this way they are there if you do. 

Contact the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 for more information regarding their locations and what to do in an emergency.

While you may not be planning a special treat for your puppy that includes any of these harmful ingredients accidents can occur.  Make sure you cover your trash inside and out with a tight lid.  Plastic bags can be pawed through leaving your, your neighbor’s dog or a homeless dog at risk for a number of unsafe “foods.”

Let’s work together to keep our precious pets free from injury or death with a few simple precautions. Pet proofing can be just as important at child proofing.

Tags: , , , , ,

One Response to “Food and Drink that Your Dog Should Never Eat”

  1. Avoiding Halloween Hazards: Pet Safety Tips | YourDogZone says on :

    […] Review these Food and Drink that Your Pet Should Never Eat. […]

Leave a Reply